New Westminster

Spanning the Fraser River and links the city of New Westminster on the north bank of the river to the city of Surrey on the south bank.   In 1904, a wooden bridge was completed that carried trains on one level and carts, pedestrians, produce, horses, cattle, and assorted farm animals on another.

Click on the image to view, then use BACK button to return.

Then along came the motor vehicle, and the bridge quickly became obsolete because it was too narrow for two to pass each other. A paddle had to be passed back and forth from one end of the bridge to another to indicate if the bridge was occupied or not.

Click on the image to view, then use BACK button to return.


In 1936–37 the Pattullo Bridge was constructed. The bridge was named in honour of Thomas Dufferin Pattullo, former premier of British Columbia. The original wooden bridge remains as a train only bridge as the pedestrian walkway was removed with the opening of the modern bridge.

Click on the image to view, then use BACK button to return.